Emeline Cox Jewkes

Contents of this history:


by Sharon Haws Jewkes

How this history was compiled: Creig and I, (Sharon) Jewkes were visiting Tom Jewkes (Thomas Samuel Jewkes) from St. George, Utah, youngest son of Alma Gardner Jewkes, Jr, and Emeline Cox Jewkes. Tom mentioned that he was in possession of his motherís Book of Remembrance which contained many histories and family photographs. He also mentioned that he had an envelope that contained miscellaneous writings of his motherís memories that were recorded on little pieces of paper from time to time and were kept together in an envelope. These writings were in pencil and were difficult to read, but I was blessed to be able to read them. These memories are found in the section titled: The Memories of Emeline Cox Jewkes Through the Years. I was privileged to know and love this great lady and decided that these choice memories should be preserved for her descendants. Tom granted me permission to borrow her book and the envelope of memories.

In September 2002 through July 2003, I copied Emelineís writings with some minor editing and corrections of spelling and entered them on the computer. Some spelling was used as written by Emeline as the word or name was unfamiliar to me. Italics in parenthesis indicates explanations or words that were added by me.

Emeline called both her own father and her father-in-law, Ďfatherí or Ďgrandfatherí, so in her writings it sometimes is not clear to whom she is referring.

(Sharon Haws Jewkes, St. George, Utah, is the wife of Creig R Jewkes)

Alma Gardner, known as Gard, was previously married to Julia Maria Sorenson who died 28 Dec 1903. They had three children together: Gardner Lee, Ardis Julia, and Lillis Jewkes. Gard married Emeline 20 June 1906.


by Emeline Cox Jewkes

I was born 21 Oct 1887 in Orangeville, Emery, Utah, to Sylvester Hulet Cox and Mary Ellen Parry. Ours was a home of love and security because we had the most loving and understanding father and mother in the world.

My father was born 15 Sep 1857 in Manti, Sanpete, Utah, the son of Frederick Walter Cox and Emeline Sally Whiting. My Grandfather Cox was a very industrious and religious man. He owned a chair factory with the father of my Grandmother Whiting. His name was Elisha Whiting. While in the mountains logging, a large log rolled onto Grandfather Cox and pinned him down, causing his death on 5 June 1879.

My parents were married on 1 Dec 1880 in the St. George Temple. Five couples traveled from Manti to St. George at that time to be married. One of each couple was a brother or sister of my father. My motherís father was Edward Lloyd Parry, a mason by trade. (He worked on the Salt Lake Temple before his calling to go to St. George.) He was master mason of the St. George, and Manti Temples. He followed that trade all his life. He married Elizabeth Evans and later his cousin, Ann Parry. To them were born twelve children.

My parents always took us children to Sunday School, Primary and Church. All eight of us have been reared in the LDS Gospel (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

I shall never forget the day I was baptized. After the birthday party and a little before sundown, Father said, "Mother, it is time to go and get my girl baptized. I think I will need a quilt to wrap her in. It is rather chilly." So we gathered things together. The towels, quilts, and things, and went down 2Ĺ blocks to the Blue Cut Canal where Father had found a suitable depth for the ordinance. So on 21 Oct 1895, with a high wind, rain, snow, and almost hail, Father baptized Georgie Peacock, a cousin, first. then he sat on a chair on the bank and was confirmed. Oh, he looked so cold sitting there, his teeth chattering and shaking all over. After he was confirmed he ran 1Ĺ blocks home and then I was baptized. I sat on the chair up on the bank with the wind whipping the storm around and I was confirmed. Then Father rolled me in a big quilt and started home. When we got to Sister Mary Tuttleís corner, the wind become such a gale Father had to stop, turn his back, and wait a little while before he could face the storm and make it home with such a load.

Each child was given certain assignments to do about the home. Mine was to sweep and dust, keep the front room tidy and mix the yeast bread. In those days we used about a pint of home made yeast. I mixed enough dough for about sixteen loaves of bread twice a week. Also I scrubbed the white pine floors. They sure looked lovely after a good scrubbing. I also did the ironing. I was pretty good at cake making but never wanted to make pies. My little sisters, Hattie and Maysie, had the dishes to do. If anyone complained Father would say, "We all have to work to make the wheels go around you know."

When I was a girl, Father had a tree on which he had grafted six different kinds of apples. Because it was shading one of the first four pine trees they had planted, and it wasn't growing as fast as the other three were, I cut it down. The older boys were upset that I cut down the apple tree and told me so. I said, "Well, I wouldn't have, but Mother wanted it down, and none of you would do it." I've always felt a little sorry I did, for I surely missed climbing for those good apples it bore. Father had such pride in the fact he had a tree with such a variety of apples for his family. He always tried to raise all things on his lot so that we didnít have to go else where for fruit, vegetables and flowers.

School Days and Teachers: I donít remember my first grade teacher. It must have been Annie Fitt. I do remember going to school in the old hall where there were long high tables for books and slates and long narrow benches on each side of the table to sit on. Mr. Will Fitt was principal and teacher for one group on one side of the big gray curtain that divided the room. There was an enormous pot bellied stove in the center of the hall that was always red hot. This furnished the heat, though sometimes it would explode. This was in the Ward Social Hall. Mr. Fittís sister, Anne, was my teacher on the south side of the curtain. We always had devotional first and then the big old curtain was drawn to separate the two groups. Of course we could hear what went on in the other group. Sometimes it was regular bedlam. The benches were low and the table high so we would get very tired working on our old slates. The slate pencils sometimes made awful scratching noises. We would do our work on these slates which were about eleven inches long and eight inches wide. When class was over everything was rubbed out, usually spitting on the slate and rubbing it out with a rag that was attached to the slate by a string. Thus the slate was made ready for the next lesson.

Then we moved to the old white school house that was built just south of the Social Hall. Mother was janitor here when Father was on his mission. Uncle Jesse Jewkes was my teacher. I was rather good in arithmetic, but I never wanted to read aloud. Brother Seth Allen and Ole Sorensen were my teachers also. Mr. Foster Cluff was my teacher in the seventh grade. He was a sheik with the older girls and dressed real nice even though he had a beautiful wife and family. I disliked him so very much. In 1903 I went to Castle Dale to the Emery Stake Academy for my eighth grade. Brother Silas Harris was principal with Dr. Horace G. Merrill and Frances Bird as teachers. We surely loved those teachers. They seemed to have everyoneís interest at heart. Then G. R. Hickman, Archer Willy, and John T. Hand (a music teacher) came in 1904. How they inspired greater interest and enthusiasm in all the subjects taught.

We really had a wonderful school. I drove old Kit on a one seated buggy from Orangeville each morning. She was sure a fine trotter. I put her through for all she was worth. One year Edward drove Kit and rode with us. (Mary Guymon, Jen Reid, and Mary Poulsen)

Riding side saddle as we did in those days, my parents and brothers wouldnít let me ride a horse much. When I did get a chance, I most always turned a somersault and went off backwards. We were never allowed to ride tom-boy style.

The day of my eighth grade graduation was surely a red letter day for me. At the end of the second year (that was the highest grade taught at that time), our class gave the graduation exercises and it was considered the best ever. At the close there was scarcely a dry eye in the building. To think that was our last year in the good old Emery Stake Academy nearly broke our hearts.

Other Memories: I went Eastering (?) once with my group - May Reid, Hattie Grange, Spencer Snow, Eliot Fox, and twenty others. I finally got a horse and we ran races. I was the winner every time.

When out in a group we played Sister Perute, Plank the Bladder, Run Sheepy Run, and other games.

Father had a little log house out on the farm. Mother had a quilting bee and of course the mothers brought all the kids. We made a slippery slide down the Blue Ridge and I got going so fast I caught up with the one in head and swerved to the side to miss hitting the other child. As I went over a shad scale I was bitten by a scorpion or something and went blind before the kids got me to the house.

I think on the 4th of July 1904 was about the most thrilling event of my public appearance. I was asked to give the Declaration of Independence. I was thrilled and also scared out of my wits. I asked Uncle Jesse Jewkes, Grandfather Jewkesí youngest brother, if he would train me to do it right. He said, "Iíll say. I will be glad to. You will do it better than it has ever been done before." He did. He came down to our home most every evening for two weeks and worked with me. He told Father and Edward that they were to sit in different places in the hall and start to clap at certain climaxes or places through the reading of it and he would sit in a different part of the hall to help with the clapping. Between them all, they would make a grand success of it. Well, when I started you could see some of the audience begin to slump down for a good snooze. The house was packed. A few stanzas were given. The audience looked up, then sat up as I went along. When all the clapping began, they really sat up and listened. Those in the far back of the hall stood up and some stood on the seats at the back. When it came to the places Uncle Jesse had marked for clapping, the people just made that old hall ring.

As soon as the amen was said, the people on the stage threw their arms around me and said, "Iíve heard the Declaration of Independence read a great many times but never listened to it as I did today. Say, why didnít you read all of the Declaration today?"
I said, "Why I did. I never left one word out."
"Oh, you couldnít have. It was so short and grand."

Uncle Sam Snow was off the stage waiting to get to me. As I went down off the stage, he took me in his arms and said, "You were magnificent. Iíve never heard it read with so much feeling and given so fine . . . never never before. Oh, I am proud of you."

I said Uncle Sam, "Give the praise to Uncle Jesse where it is really due."

Uncle Jesse put his arms around me and said, "Oh no. All praises goes to you my dear." But really I think my family did much to stimulate the enthusiasm knowing when to clap. After giving that reading is when I was asked to work in the ward organization.

How I got My Man: I went to High School at the Emery Stake Academy in 1904 and 1905. Prof. Hickman was our principal at that time. In those days there were no pencil sharpeners. As my father always had a sharp pocket knife, pencil sharping was not so bad until I went to the Academy. I soon found that Alma Gardner Jewkes (Gard) carried a sharp knife so I borrowed his, but once I failed to return it. I just couldnít find it anywhere. In fact, I never did find it. I felt terrible but not so terrible as he did. He told me I had to do something to make it up to him. We started going out to shows, parties, and dances. Finely, we were married. Then I asked him if getting me was pay enough for the loss of his pocket knife. But I donít remember if he ever answered me or not.

I was married 20 June 1906 to Alma Gardner Jewkes, Jr. We went to the Manti Temple in a covered wagon by way of Salina. Both our mothers went along. It took us three days to go and three days to get back. But I did enjoy the trip. The weather was perfect and I was joyously happy. Somewhat scared of Gard, however. He was so much older than I, but I acted my age and shouted and sang while in the mountains.

After Marriage Memories: At the time our fifth baby was born we moved to Salt Lake City. We stayed there four years then moved back to Orangeville. We lived in Orangeville, Castle Dale, Orangeville, Salt Lake City, Orangeville, and back to Castle Dale in 1923 where we lived ever more. Gardís work moved us around a lot.

Hue and Kay (Emelineís sons), when kids, took their little black and white dog and 22 (rifle) down on the creek to hunt. The Judd boys, Mike, Bob and Paul, went with them. While running around and playing games, the little pup bit Paulís leg quite bad so Hue got the gun and shot his pup. Paulís leg was so bad, the older kids carried him home to his mother. As they went in to her, they shouted, "Hueís dog bit Paul so we shot him."

Mrs. Judd screamed and said, "Why did you shoot Paul and not your dog?" Mrs. Judd was surely upset. Hue and Kay ran for their dad who went right down to help with Paul and his mother. The boys felt so bad about the dog after they thought about it as he was only playing with them.

A few of the adversities that have come to our family where the Lord surely poured out his blessings unto us: The first thing was when Fred (Emelineís first son) was young and cut his nose by falling on an ear of a coal bucket (the part where the handle is attached) at Grandfather Coxís. It looked like he would bleed to death. I was alone but Grandfather Guymon came in and helped.

When Parry (second son) was three weeks old, Fred fell with both hands on the hot stove. He screamed so and no one was around to leave the baby with. Fred was just eighteen months old. Gard was on a mission to the Eastern States. I bundled them up and rushed down to Mothers. Father took Fred and walked into the kitchen and back into the front room. Fred stopped crying and never made any more fuss with his hands.

About October of 1907, I reached down and lifted Fred from the ground and pulled his arm out at the elbow. I took him to Mothers. Father harnessed his horse and took him to Castle Dale to Dr. Tingy. It took the doctor one hour and forty-five minutes with Fred under ether to fix his arm. He never made a fuss after he got home.

Fred fell from a poplar tree when he was about ten years old. He fell onto the cement sidewalk and was knocked out for six hours. The doctor happened to be passing and stopped to ask the children what was the matter with their little friend. They told him that Fred had fallen from the tree. He gathered him in his arms and carried him into the house where he checked Fred for broken bones but none had been sustained. The doctor went out and saw where Fred fell from out of the tree and came back in and said, "Lady, itís a miracle your boy is alive." This doctor didnít charge a cent. After staying in bed for a few days Fred came down with the mumps.

Mary (fourth child) had pneumonia when she was about twenty months old. Gard was working at the State Capital at the time and Bernerd (fifth child) was just about a month old. I donít know what I would have done had it not been for my father. Gard was in Salt Lake City when Bernerd was born and Mary so sick. Father used to come up and hold Mary by the hour and help in every other way. As soon as Mary was well enough to be moved, my father helped us move to Salt Lake City. After moving to Salt Lake City the two girls, Erma (third child) and Mary, came down with typhoid fever. After that, Mary had another case of pneumonia. When Mary was so sick with pneumonia in Salt Lake, I thought one day she was dying. The close neighbors were gone so I ran across the alley to our Ward Teacherís home. I asked Brother Faulkner to come down and administer to her. He said, "You go back to your little girl and Iíll be right down." He came and as soon as he laid his hands on her head, she quieted down and was so much better. Before he finished blessing her, she had fallen asleep and was well in a few days. Brother Faulkner was a very plain man but to me he was goodness itself. I knew if he came to bless Mary she would recover.

When Kay was a month old (1921), Bernerd took down with pneumonia. Bernerd was seven years old in October. We lived in two rooms and a tent. He was so sick for so long and he got so thin. He had to have an operation for puss on the lung on the first Sunday in December. Before Bernerd was operated on, we took Kay to church and had him named. We also asked that Bernerd be prayed for in that meeting which he was. The Lord blessed him so that he did recover. He had gotten so thin, just skin over bones. Not many thought he could possibly recover. He had been down for nearly three months. Gard carried him down to the Christmas dance.

Kay was sick so long when a year old. One doctor (clinic traveling through) said he had T. B. It scared us about to death. This proved false, thank goodness. On all these sicknesses we called the doctor and also the Elders. The Lord surely answered our prayers.

When Hue was four years old, he had a bad case of rheumatic fever. I had to carry him around for about six weeks. The joints of his body swelled so large and were so painful he would scream with every movement.

When Erma was a young girl she had such terrible headaches. One Sunday she was down with one and so at meeting I asked Brother Nad Olsen if he would come down and give her a blessing. He came and asked me to kneel with him at her bedside. In his prayer he asked God to bless my child according to the faith of her mother. I was very touched by that prayer. I felt if Erma was to recover from those headaches, I did have faith enough in the blessing Brother Olsen gave to her that she would never have them again. As long as she was home they never occurred again.

Gard also had pneumonia and milk leg (a painful swelling) and was down for three months. I was down that long with a ruptured appendix. In 1950 he was down with pneumonia again. He was so bad.

Miscellaneous Memories: In 1 June 1949 we went to Sutter City, California, with Ermaís missionary companion, Edna Gilman and family. We stayed ten days and would have liked to stay longer. This was my first trip out of Utah.

In 1945 we had four sons in the military service. They were Fred, Hue, Kay, and Dall. Gard also had four grandsons in the service. At this time our son, Dall, and one grandson, Paul Poulsen, are still serving.

Church positions I have held are Sunday School Teacher, Primary Teacher, Counselor and then President in YWMIA in Orangeville, Stake Relief Society Theology Teacher, and Ward Relief Society Theology Teacher for many years. On the first Sunday of January 1951, I started in the genealogy class under Royal Jewkes as teacher.

In 1953 Morris and Beth took us through Yellowstone Park. There were many sights to see: Morning Glory Pool, hot springs, Fishing Bridge, mud pots, lakes, bears, elk, deer, and oh, so many things.

Achievements: My vocation in life was being a mother of ten and a housewife, church duties, raising a garden like Father and Motherís . . . no weeds, but plenty of vegetables for both summer and winter and then lots of flowers. I loved to make quilts and do hand work. My silk quilt took the sweepstake prize at the Utah State Fair in 1948 or 49. I think that is a wonderful achievement.

At this date, 20 Feb 1953, my ten children are all married except Tom who is seventeen. They are able to care for themselves and families. Parry and Beth both worked at the Oak Ridge Atomic Plant in Tennessee from 1942 to 1947. Parry is now at the Atomic Plant in Idaho. Fred is in Denver, Colorado, with Taylor Grazing Operations. Erma is in California, Mary and Beth in Castle Dale, Bernerd and Kay in Salt Lake. Bernerd is a carpenter, Kay a guard at the State Prison. Hue is in Kamas and a coach at the Kamas High School. Dall is in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and a Lt. in the Army. Tom is still at home with Dad and me. We are very proud and happy with the achievements of our family.

Gard and I have seen six of our grandchildren married. All but one married in the temple. President ElRay L. Christensen officiated for Charlane Peterson Luke in the Logan Temple, President William L. Killpack for Creig R Jewkes in the Idaho Falls Temple, and President ElRay L. Christensen for Kenneth A. Jewkes , Richard M. Peterson, and McKay C. Jewkes in the Salt Lake Temple.

Gard has filled two missions. Fred, our oldest son, and Erma, our oldest daughter, both filled missions in the Southern States.

(These are from two separate histories that Emeline wrote. One is found in her Book of Remembrance. The second history she had written (possibly in a Sunday School class) and had asked her granddaughter, Charlane Peterson Luke, to compile it for her. Charlane sent a copy to Creig. There was much of the same information in each history. When I (Sharon) started to compile the above history, I combined the two histories to make one. They are as she wrote them, just leaving out any duplication of information.)


(Note: The following memories were recorded in pencil by Emeline on various pieces of scrap paper from time to time . . . old envelopes, paper sacks, little pieces of paper, little notebooks, etc., then kept in a big envelope. There were no dates on most of them, so they are in random order. Sharon Jewkes)

Castle Dale: The first comers to Castle Dale lived in dugouts or cellars in the side of a hill, bank, or wash. They were crude and heated by fireplaces, box stoves, or old tubs. In the summer, campfires were built outside for cooking. Greased paper or white canvas were used to cover the small openings for windows. These dwellings were used only until log houses were built. Emery, Carbon, and Grand Counties were once under the care of Sanpete Stake of Zion.
- Brother Orange Seely -
(This name was written at the bottom of the page. It may have been a statement by Bro. Seely and copied by Emeline.)

Grandfather Edward Lloyd Parry: On 10 October 1853, Grandfather Parry arrived in Salt Lake. On the first of April 1854, his wife and he received their endowments in the Endowment House in Salt Lake. In 1856 he moved to Ogden, then in 1857, Brother Heber C. Kimball called him to go to Salt Lake City to work on the temple. Three weeks later he moved from Ogden to Salt Lake and started working on the temple. He was present when the treasure box was laid in the foundation of the temple and spread the mortar for it.

In 1862 he was called to go to St. George, Washington County, Utah, to be the Master Mason of the temple there. With part of his family, he arrived on the 5 June 1862. My mother (Mary Ellen Parry) was born 18 June 1862. She was the first white baby girl born in St. George. She was born in a wagon.

Grandfather laid the four corners without the usual ceremonies, the authorities not being able to be there at that time. Pres. Young was very desirous of having the work hurried along. Grandfather also assisted Pres. Young and the others with him in setting the treasure box in the temple walls of the St. George Temple.

In April 1877 he was called by Pres. Young to go to Manti to take charge of the mason and stone work of the Manti Temple. He arrived there in company with Pres. Young on 24 April 1877. They were about two years getting the hill leveled down to get ready to lay the corner stones. These were laid 14 April 1879. The south east corner stone contains the treasure box, making three treasure boxes that he assisted in setting in the temples.

From his Sanpete white oolite* stone quarry, the large stones in the cornice of the Manti Temple towers were obtained; also the stone of which the annex building of the Salt Lake Temple is built. *(An oolite or egg stone, is a sedimentary rock formed from ooids, spherical grains composed of concentric layers.)

When my motherís two sisters, Hattie and Emma Parry, were visiting the St. George Temple in 1911, Brother Pickett, the door keeper, took them to the roof where he told them an incident connected with their father.

Grandfather went to the roof and where the walls are built above the roof, he saw a bad stone being placed in the wall and said to the builder, "Take out that stone, my boy, and put in a good one."

The man said, "What will it matter? There will be no weight on it and it will be plastered over so one will know."

Grandfather said, "My boy, three persons will know it. You will know it, I will know, and God will know it! That is three, my boy, take it out!" That shows how particular and conscientious he was to have the work done right. That is the way he lived, ever striving for the right in all things every day of his life.

Manti Temple: Some of the first workers on the Manti Temple were Fatherís brothers and sisters. Also working on the temple were one of Grandfather Frederick Walter Coxís wives, Aunt Cordelia Cox, and some of his children, Francis Morley and George Byron. Diantha Reid, Emerett Clark, Esther Snow, daughters, and many others of the Cox clan worked on the temple, too. Also Harriet and Emma Parry, my motherís sisters, and some of her brothers worked there. There have been and still are Coxes and Parrys doing ordinance work.

Grandfather Jewkesí Recording: There was a record made on Grandfather Jewkesí (Alma Gardner Jewkes, Sr.) 90th birthday (1948) as he sang the song, "The Fire in the Grate." Julia played it to us over the phone on October 19. Grandfather sang this song at most all the family gatherings. Uncle Henry Reid used to sing it at all the Cox gatherings.

Old Major: Father had a little (unclear) colt which he raised to work on his one-seated buggy. He trained him to do just what he called to him to do like steady, Major; step up, Major; woe-gee, Major, woe. Father worked in the bees and many times he was alone in his work and that is where Major was such a help to Father. He would be lifting bee boxes and needed a little more space between wheels. He would just talk to Major and get him to make the right move at the right time and Major was fast.

Singing: Fatherís brothers and sisters gathered to Motherís and, oh, how beautiful were the many songs they sang. There were Aunt Hat Reid and Aunt Jane Cox as sopranos, Aunt Manda Tuttle as alto, Uncle Reed as baritone and father sang bass. (Some names unclear) I remember their meeting at Motherís often.

Indian Joe - told by father (Alma Gardner Jewkes, Sr.): Father told the story about when Gard was but a lad and was traveling to Sanpete in company with his mother and his grandmother, Elizabeth Ann Jones Guymon. At evening time a group of Indians rode into their camp. When one Indian spied Grandmother Elizabeth, he dismounted and ran to her, took her in his arms saying, "Jonesy, Jonesy!"

She replied, "Joey, Joey, Indian Joe!" They acted as if they had found a sister and brother. Father said he had never seen two people show so much affection and love for one another. That scene took place because of the goodness of grandmother to the Indians. Indians never left her door with out being fed and cared for. The Indians asked to use Gardís new horse blankets to sleep in, but he was afraid they would never give them back. He thought when morning came the blankets would be gone with the Indians. Grandmother told him if he would let the Indians use them, Indian Joe would see that his blankets were left. After a lot of thinking, he let them use them. Of course they were what he looked for first thing when he awoke. Sure enough they were there. Dad was a very happy boy and glad he had been good to the Indians. Indian Joe became a bishop if Indianola.

Grandmother Coxís visit: In about 1892, Grandmother Cox (Emeline Whiting Cox) came from Manti and stayed in Orangeville for awhile among her children. At our home she rocked the baby cradle with her foot and darned stockings, sewed or mended. She was always busy.

My Father: I think Father and Mother and family were going down to Aunt Lizzieís. Father, as always, had his arm around Mother. Some man, a friend, called and said, "Oh, Uncle Vet! That loving your wife should have stopped at marriage. Why anyone would think that she is still your sweetheart." Father relied, "My wife was my sweetheart before we were married; she is my sweetheart now; and she will always be my sweetheart. So you see this is as it should be . . . very, very proper."

When Father was at the Price Hospital in November of 1935 (at the time of his passing), a niece visited him and said, "Oh, Uncle Vet. I canít see why you should suffer so. You have always lived such a wonderful, good, clean life."

"Oh, oh! Hold on, Bell, and let me tell you a story. I used to herd sheep. While I was doing so, I used coffee. One time when I returned home, I was asked to administer to a very sick baby. When I was asked by those people, I was frightened, feeling my weakness. I felt that the Lord would not answer my supplication in the interest of any endeavor because of my weakness. So I asked that they wait a little while and then if I could, I would come. I knelt in secret prayer and confessed my weaknesses, my bad habit of coffee drinking, and made this promise. If the Lord would accept the administration to the baby through me, I would never taste coffee again. And from that day on, I have never done so. I went and administrated to the little darling and through the blessing of God to me and to the baby, it was healed." Such a wonderful man was my father.

My Fatherís Trees and Garden: On the lot father and mother located on, mother brought Black Walnuts from the trees on her fatherís trees in Manti. Father planted some of them so we had a row of them down the south side of the quarter acre lot where we all lived until we married and had homes of our own. I planted six walnuts from the trees in my flower bed. Two grew, so I transplanted them on the ditch bank on the east of our home in Castle Dale. They, like motherís, supplied walnuts for my family and neighbors and school kids who passed our way. We all enjoyed the walnuts especially at Christmastime.

Father raised apple trees from seed and when they had grown to about three feet, he would get a limb from some good apple tree and graft a bud into the little tree and in that way we had many fine apples. He did the same with apricots. So we had the finest fruit found anywhere.

Father and Mother grew the largest gooseberries I have ever seen. They had a patch of red English currants and one of raspberries, plenty of rhubarb, and garden sage. ĎThe bestí for home use and neighbors.

Father knew how to plant, transplant, and grow most anything, even cantaloupes. I saw a neighbor walk in the garden, help himself to a couple of melons, walk out, and take them home. I asked father why he didnít say something to the man. He said, "Why he just wanted a melon for his dinner. He found what he wanted. It didnít bother anything. He can come and help himself. There is enough for him, too."

Parryís Apricot Tree Ride: My parents had a good orchard . . . most every kind of fruit tree you could grow in Orangeville. They had some trees with very large apricots. We were all anxious to have some of them. One year we went to Orangeville to pick some and there were such beauties far out on a big limb in the top. Parry could climb like any squirrel so he knew he could go out on the limb and get them. So out he went and as he reached for the nicest ones, the limb broke clean off. Well, there Parry was all sprawled out. He grabbed hold of the limbs on both sides and came gently down through the tree clear to the ground. He had a very peculiar look on his face like he didnít know what part of him was going to crack up . . . an arm, a leg, or his neck. It turned out to be just a long, slow ride through the air from the top of the sixty year old tree to the ground beneath. He was lying on the top of the large limb and ascending down just like a bird when it decided to light. But one thing we found out was that Ďapricot limbs are very brittleí.

An Adventure ( written 21 Feb 1954): Once when Mother was so terribly sick, I thought she surely couldnít live till morning. The doctor said she must have a certain medicine. I tried to get Edward (Emelineís brother) to saddle up and go to Castle Dale after it. He said, "Emeline, if I went I couldnít get it anyway." I just couldnít understand why. I had Hattie (her sister) sneak our coats out and we went to the corral. I was about twelve years old and Hattie seven (about 1899). I didnít know anything about saddling a horse but some how I got out old Nancy, a small bay mare. I had never had anything to do with her but, anyway, I threw the saddle on with out fastening the cinches. I got Hattie on back and I got in the saddle, how I donít know.

We got over across the creek okay and stopped at Brother Robert Loganís. I called out and asked them to fasten the cinch. When they got the horse into the lamplight, Brother Logan said, "You havenít any saddle blanket on." He put one on and told me to never do such a trick again. He said that it was a miracle we hadnít both been killed and to turn around and go back home.

Well, we went on to Castle Dale but couldnít get any medicine. Just as we started back I heard old Kit whiney and said, "Hattie, did you hear that horse? Thatís old Kit and Edward." I was so glad he came after us. When we got to him, I began to cry. I was so relieved. Of coarse he told us what a dangerous thing we had done and that we better never try such a thing again. Father was on his mission and I know if he was home, someone would have had to have gone.

I think that was the darkest night I ever remember. It was cold winter weather but good old Nancy got us there and back. I think we were so frightened we didnít notice the cold. Brother Loganís house was the only one between Orangeville and Castle Dale. The road followed around the bench and down through the toolies. It makes my hair stand up now to think of it.

Sage Hens for Grandfather Parry: Almost every year while Grandfather Parry was alive (died 26 Aug 1906), father would hook the horses on the covered wagon, pile the youngsters in, then help Mother in. We would go to Manti Sanpete. The roads were terrible. There were big boulders that would have to be pried out of the way with crowbars and ruts built up, but we traveled on over the washouts and bad roads. Many times Father would say, "All out but Mother and the baby!" He would walk by the side of the horses and brake the wagon when it was necessary for the team to rest.

Mother was afraid to drive, almost scared to death to ride, let alone drive, but I remember certain places through the canyons Father would say, "Alright, ĎBillí (fatherís pet name for mother), itís your turn to drive while I get some pine hens for Grandfatherís birthday dinner." He would take his gun and go down through the pines along the creek and most always came back with about three pine and sage hens. I think Mother was always happier to have Father back to the wagon than she was over the success of getting the hens. I remember when Uncle Warren was with us, he went for game, too. Grandfatherís birthday was August 25 (born 1818).

The Old White School: Our home was just across the road from the school house block. The first school house I remember was built with four rooms. We had to climb up twenty large steps to the door. There were twenty steps on the east and on the west side. There were two doors on each side through which one entered their class room. Oh, what fun the kids had chasing one another up and down those big old steps playing tag, follow the leader, and touch me not.

When Grandfather Cox (Emelineís father) was on his mission to the Northern States, mother was appointed janitor for the schoolhouse and, oh, what hard work it was especially when it was wet weather . . . rain or snow. Then one Halloween some of the town boys decided it would be fun to get a white horse and make it climb all those steps and put it inside the school house. So thatís what was done. Well, when mother and my brothers, Vettie (Sylvester) and Edward, went the next morning to get the building ready for classes, they found that odd horse and the terrible mess and damage it had made. Mother was just sick. She worked so hard to get money to send to Father so he could stay and fill his mission, but they finely got the building cleaned up and school went on.

When that building was destroyed, school was held in the theater. We had long tables with benches to sit on. There was an old curtain pulled open and a sheet to divide the classes with the older kids on one side and the little ones on the other side of the curtain. Imagine the noise and confusion. Will Fitt was principal and teacher of the older ones and Anne Fitt, his sister, taught the younger ones. Boy, those were the days.

While this was going on, a new brick school house was being built. I went to the 5th and 6th grade in this brick building. Then I went to the Emery Stake Academy (in Castle Dale) for the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades. We would leave Orangeville at eight oíclock. My brother, Edward, drove old Kit, a wonder trotter horse, for two years. The next year I drove old Fanny Jack one year. She was a sorrel and our saddle pony. She was good and fat and slow. I was so happy when they let me drive Kit sometimes. We were the last to leave Orangeville, but the first to get to Castle Dale.

Meeting Leaders of the Church: When I was a young girl I always looked forward for Stake Conference. So many times some of the General Authorities ate or stayed at our home. Mother often at that time would have around twenty for dinner as did many other ladies. They seldom went to the morning meeting as they were busy preparing the dinner. Some of the early apostles I remember were Apostle Matthias Cowley, father of Matthew Cowley. I thought he was one of the finest apostles I ever knew. He was so kind, understanding, and appreciative.

Apostle Teasdale usually came with Brother Cowley and then Brother Ballard and Apostle David O. McKay. How I did love to go. I always tried to get near each of them.

When the Castle Dale Ward and Stake house was dedicated by President McKay, I visited with both he and Sister McKay after the meeting. She was so gracious and lovely. I wanted to be with them as long as they would stay. I feel fortunate to have had the privilege of being in the presence of these fine people.

My Hat and the Miracle: One Sunday Mother wished Aunt Lizzie and her family to come up to dinner. She sent me to ask her. Francis Cox went with me and insisted that she wear my lovely new leghorn hat with the yards of pink streamers hanging down the back. When Aunt Lizzie got the baby ready, I asked that we girls start on ahead with the little baby, Hattie. When we got outside, Francis wanted to carry the baby. When we went to cross the bridge over the canal, Francis walked backwards. There was a short board in the bridge and as she came to it, she fell off into the water. Off went my hat and she let the baby go. Uncle Warren and Lizzie got there just then and Uncle Warren went after the baby.

I screamed for them to retrieve my lovely new leghorn hat. It was floating on top of the water sound and round. Francis finally caught it and spread it out and tried to dry it, but it was never really pretty again. The baby was wrapped so well that she did not get wet or hurt. She just seemed to float right under the bridge. Of course, Uncle Warren got her out safe and sound. It just seemed a miracle.

Getting Ready to be Married: I had all my clothes back in a trunk together with our license. Mother said, "Emeline, I think this other trunk would be better to take in place of that one." So I changed trunks. You see we traveled by team and wagon in those days. Our mothers, Gardís and mine, went along. The first night we camped at Johnny Lewisí ranch in Emery. The next night at Simpsonís ranch, from there on to Manti.

Well, we got to the temple Wednesday, 20 June 1906, and when the officials asked for our license I said, "Oh, it is home on the dresser." Well, did I blush and feel like crying. Someone phoned to the Sanpete County clerk and explained. He said for us to come to the court house and he would have one ready for us. So down we went and, of course, by the time we got our second license to wed, we went through the second session.

We ate dinner with Uncle Bernard and Aunt Violet. Among other good things she served, she had boiled onions. The next day we were at Aunt Lue Tuttleís together with Uncle Fred Coxís youngest son, Lewis, and wife and a house full of uncles, aunts, and cousins. They gave us a delicious dinner. We spent a delightful evening with a program, singing, reading, and visiting. Starting home we camped again at Simpsonís.

I was sure a noisy little wench. Gard stood it pretty well for a time but finally said, "My, the people around here will think youíve gone crazy if you donít soon let up."

At that, I ran up and down the wagon tongue singing, "We Wonít Go Home Until Morning." Finally, I decided for Gardís sake that I better hush and be a good little girl. Next day we made it to Lewisí ranch and from there on home. That will have been fifty years this next June 20, 1956. You know thatís a long time married. Weíve had lots of ups and downs during the past fifty years.

The Streetcar Scare: When I was moving home from Salt Lake City, Reid Jewkes came over to help me to the railroad station. Besides my five children and our suitcases, I decided to take two crates of eight week old chickens and about five pots of flowers. When we had to transfer to another street car, I thought I had Bernerd, who was about four years old, secured to me. A number of cars came and went and there we stood waiting with many a stare and smile thrown our way. Well, here came another car just a head of the one we were to take. We were busy gathering up the things and just as this car started away, Bernerd jumped upon the steps and grabbed the iron bar. The door was closed and there he was speeding along, hanging on to the outside of the car. Well, was I ever excited, mortified, and every thing else that come as such moments. I dropped the flower pots and ran screaming, "Stop your car. My baby is hanging on."

Reid came after me but declared to this day he couldnít keep in my dust. Anyway, someone managed to get the car stopped after about a block and I grabbed Bernerd and started back to get on the next car. Reid said, "My word, Aunt Emeline, I thought I was a pretty good foot racer, but you had me beat a city block."

I replied, "Well, that was my baby and I didnít want to pick him up in pieces."

Gard's Undesirable Ride on a Pig: Gard decided to change the big 400 pound sow to another pen or just put her in the corral. He took down the gate that had been nailed shut and finally got the pig out, but she decided she didn't want to go into the stable. After chasing her all over the corral, he finally came into the house to get Beth to go out to help him. The boys were somewhere, or in the field. Beth went out but just when it looked like they had her, she would whirl and dart between them and the chase was on again. Gard, became more exasperated each second. Finally, it looked like she was going in okay, but then whirled and ran the full length of the corral with Gard and Beth after her. When she whirled again, she ran right between his legs. So there he was toting on her back, riding the old sow backwards. Try as he would, he couldn't get off! With each movement of the pig, first one foot and then another would touch the ground. He had a hard time fighting to stay on the pig while with every breath he would say (not very loud), "You dirty old sow, you dirty old bitch, you dirty old sow." This kept up for some time with Beth helpless to do anything but stand there laughing at the funniest sight she had ever witnessed. Her father riding a pig, the running old sow, backwards. Well, the measly pig finally decided she had enough for one day so she bolted for the door of the stable. Gard threw wide his arms and the old thing leaped through the gate and left him standing in the door exhausted and still saying, "You dirty old sow."

Laying the Linoleum: Our floor covering in the kitchen was worn out so Dad bought a cheap linoleum from a peddler. He told the boys to help get everything out of the kitchen so when he got home from work he could lay it. This they did, even the big old stove.

When he came home from work, we proceeded to lay the linoleum. Every time one of the boys made a move to help, he would say or look so they couldn't do anything to help and it seemed quite a hard task. We all would have liked to have helped him, but Dad seemed to be in a rather foul mood. He couldn't get the stuff to straighten out to suit him, so he finally got against the north wall and pulled and tugged. All of us wished he would tell us what we could do to help. Well, he finally got so mad, he braced himself against the wall and gave the stuff a swift kick. You should have seen the look that came over his face when he saw his foot sticking out of the linoleum looking at him. The kids all wanted to scream with laughter, but none dared to make a sound in his presence so each darted out of a door closest to them. He was so upset, he wasn't going to let Fred and Parry help bring in the big old heavy coal stove, but they could help him with that and they did.

Beth's Use for a Pin: One morning just at the finish of breakfast, Dad (Gard) was ready for work. Some of us were up from the table. He had just put one foot up on the chair seat to retie his shoe string but this stretched the seat of his pants to skin tight. Beth (the little imp) had a pin and she looked at me and motioned like to stick him with it, and of course I nodded consent. All the kids were watching, and he was telling the boys what they were to do that day. So Beth stuck him with the pin in the bottom. We all expected him to explode. We were all holding our breath. He whirled around and realized what had happened. He saw the amused look on all our faces and couldn't scold her. It was all so very out of the ordinary and it was really funny.

War Years: During the war days we had Hue go first in the Navy. He was on a P.T. Boat. He was chosen a leader of the LDS boys in his division. Then Fred went and he worked every day the whole two years. Kay left making three in the Navy. Kay was chosen a leader for LDS boys on his carrier ship. Dall went in the Paratrooper division. Gard had four grandsons in at the same time: Dale, Dick, and Curtis Jewkes, and Paul Paulsen. At that same time Parry and Beth worked in the Atomic Plant in Oak Ridge, Tenn. Parry had his family with him. For four years Bernerd was frozen on his job. How blessed we were as all eight of them returned home safely even though they had some very close calls.

My Flowers: I gave the genealogy lesson Sunday, 11 Dec 1955. Aunt Jensen called and said, "Sister Jewkes, you should put down in your history about your love of flowers and tell about those you have given away."

My what a task for I have never thought much about what I gave to people. I think what I had left did better for the division and I much rather someone got those starts than for me to have thrown them away. Some starts were taken to California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Salt Lake City, Price, Layton, and Cleveland. I gave some to Una, Anna, Laura, Mrs. Skinner and many others. Delone (?) Olsen, Sister Hill and Brother Hill came along to dig and finely said, "Lucille, letís get out of here before we have all this womanís flowers."

Others said, "Sister Jewkes, quit digging as our car is full." I have always loved flowers and loved to share them. I delighted in making bouquets for church, funerals, parties, and brideís bouquets. I was happy when I could gather so many beautiful Regal Lilies for my bouquets at the time of the dedications of our Stake and Ward House. What a thrill for me when President David O. McKay expressed appreciation for the one who had arranged the beautiful flowers. Many in our town brought beautiful arrangements for that wonderful occasion. One year I made twenty-three bouquets of peonies with from seven to thirteen in a bouquet and sent them to the older people for birthday anniversaries, sickness, and some to church and funerals. I always thrilled in doing just that. I sent some to Sister Rasmussen and also Uncle Jesse for their birthday.

Grandfather Jewkesí Deer Hunt as he told it to Emeline:
"Grandfather, didnít you ever go hunting deer?"
"Yes, once. Sheriff Tuttle, Brother Ole Setrude (?), and myself took our guns and went to the mountains to hunt deer. We walked and walked and grew tired and discouraged. We about decided there were no deer. Then somehow I became separated from those men and I finally sat down to rest. I didnít know where the men could be, but as I sat there I saw something move. I watched it for quite a while and decided it couldnít be anything else but a deer laying down and moving its ears to brush off the flies. I took dead aim to hit the side of it and fired. Well, when those men jumped up and hollered, ĎDonít shoot! Weíre not deer! Canít you see its us?í I nearly passed out. I went so sick and weak. I sat there for some time before I could trust myself to stand. I thought, my, what if I had of killed one of those men? That was the only time I went hunting and I never wanted to go again."

LeGrand Richards: When Jenaleeís (wife of Lee Jewkes) oldest daughter was married, Gard and Lillis acted as witnesses. (Lee and Lillis were Gardís sons from his first wife, Julia, who had passed away before he married Emeline.) They rushed on ahead and I was left standing alone there in the temple. Apostle Richards came over and took my arm and said, "I would like you to walk with me to the sealing room and Iím sure you will be happy to walk with me here in the temple." I did appreciate having that privilege.

Church Callings: I have always tried to obey those over me and when called to any different position in the ward have filled them with the best of my ability. My first calling was a teacher in Orangeville Sunday School with Mary A. Fail. Oh, how I enjoyed her and our class. Following that I worked in the Primary and was president of the Orangeville Young Womenís Mutual. In Castle Dale I have taught in Primary and was theology class leader in Relief Society for several years.

I was a member of the Stake Genealogy Committee under Ole Sorensen in 1937, and in the ward under Jessie Tuttle, Ruben Brascher (?), and Warren Barton. I enjoyed the lessons and also the temple excursions, and members of the committee.

I was on the Stake Relief Society Board for several years, work meeting leader, member of Relief Society burial committee, and now I am a Visiting Teacher Message Instructor (1958 - 1960).

Trips and Vacations: I have been so thrilled to have gone on so many vacations and trips with my daughters and their husbands, Bishop Forrest and Mary (Peterson) and Beth and Morris (Huntington). Parry and Helen (Jewkes) joined us when we went to the Canadian Temple. We had such an enjoyable time both at the temple and the different parks. We enjoyed the scenery all along the way with the elk, deer, bear, and mountain sheep. They were glorious outings.

I have gone to every temple in North America and have done work for the dead (temples as of 1960). That has been one of the big thrills of my life.

Trips to Family Events: I went along with Bishop Peterson, Mary, Morris, and Beth to Paul (grandson, son of Erma) and Celia Lowryís wedding in Texas. That trip, too, was wonderful. The Carlsbad Caverns are something to see and to enjoy.

I was able to go with Dad (Gard) to Elbert (grandson, son of Erma) and Shirleen Lowryís wedding in Dugway. Bishop Forrest Peterson performed the wedding of both Paul and Celia and Elbert and Shirleen. What a thrill that should be to all the family. Then later, Dad and I were blessed that we were able to go and see them sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. We also witnessed Richard (grandson, son of Mary) and Dixie Petersonís marriage in the Salt Lake Temple.

We were also able to go to McKay Jewkesí funeral (grandson, son of Fred). We were also privileged to go to Larry Jewkesí (grandson, son of Fred) mission farewell.

Dad and I enjoyed all of these trips so very much.

The ĎHoeí Peace Offering: (Shows the Kind Father that was Mine) Through some misunderstanding with Fred Reid, hebecause of it, would have nothing to do with Father. At that time Father made a kind of hoe out of pitch fork tines. He made one and was taking it up to Fred. I drove up to Orangeville and got nearly home when I saw Father crossing the street starting to Fredís. Of course I asked him where he was taking the hoe. He said, "Oh, this is my peace offering for Fred. He is angry with me and I donít want the sun to go down before we are friends again. So I thought maybe this hoe would help fix things between us."

Ruptured Appendix: (About 1933) I was miserable for days with pain and nervousness and finely went to bed. We tried to get the doctor but he was out of town with the sick. When he came in I said, "Itís a ruptured appendix, isnít it, doctor? I donít want to go to the hospital, Iíd rather die here."

He said, "There is one chance in a thousand (to live) and we will take that chance." I had two wonderful men who were working at the court house come and administer to me before I would go to the hospital. Though I was down for part of three months, I recovered. In three years after that I gave birth to my 10th child (Tom).

My Family

(Written about 1965)

Fred C. Jewkes, born 31 May 1907. At present he is employed by Taylor Grazing. He went to Africa 29 Nov 1964 to teach the Africans how to build roads, rivers (probably canals), and how to use heavy equipment. He worked with Sam. He saw the wild elephants, monkeys, different birds, and other wild life. He filled a mission in Southern States. He has been Sunday School Superintendent.

Edward Parry Jewkes, born 12 Dec 1908. For the past 15 years he has been foreman (physical facilities) at the Atomic plant at Arco, Idaho.

Erma Jewkes Lowry, born 19 Apr 1911. She has filled a mission in the Southern States; been Relief Society President and counselor; Sunday School teach, MIA leader and president. She has held many other positions and now is chosen to sell LDS garments for her Stake.

Mary Jewkes Peterson, born 9 Feb 1913. She has been MIA president, Junior Sunday School Leader, Relief Society work teacher, secretary, president. At present is serving with her husband on a two year mission in New Zealand.

Frank Bernerd Jewkes, born 10 Nov 1914. He has been secretary of MIA. At present is working on Ray Jensenís farm. He has worked at different jobs and lived in Emery County, then California, back to Emery County.

Alma Hue Jewkes, born 23 Dec 1919. He is coach at the Kamas High school. He is Superintendent of Kamas Stake Sunday School, Home Teacher, and other positions.

Leonard Kay Jewkes, born 8 Sep 1921. He has been MIA president. He is at present councilor to Bishop Peacock in Green River. He is and has been Highway Road Patrolman for years. (All the children above were born in Orangeville.)

Beth Jewkes Huntington, born 4 July 1924. She has worked for the government as typist in Tennessee. She is now working in Walker Bank at Price. She has been Relief Society organist, Sunday School Co-ordinator, and Stake Relief Society organist. Morris and Beth adopted a son, Len, when he was a baby.

Lorus Dall Jewkes, born 10 May 1926. He was in World War II and is now a Major in the Army. He was a paratrooper, then changed to Army. He lived in Germany for four years and while there Verle and he adopted two boys, David and Scott, for brothers for their daughter, Paula Rae. He was councilor to the LDS District President in Germany and in Texas where he is now stationed.

Thomas Samuel Jewkes, born 21 Apr 1936. He has been MIA councilor, Sunday School teacher and is now Senior Explorer Scout Leader. He has the boys making their own bows worth $75 or so and is a Drivers Licence Examinator for the State of Utah. (Beth, Dall, and Tom were born in Castle Dale.)

I have 32 grandchildren and forty-one great grandchildren to date.

(Many, many more came later. This history is being submitted to this site in January 2008. All of Emelineís children have passed away except Hue and Tom.)

A Short Trip to the Mountains: Forrest and Mary took Parry, Helen, and myself up to Wagon Road Ridge. They were looking for a certain kind of rock. They found some the size of peanuts and a rock of oysters in shaped rocks. We were on top of the world. We could look to the north west (probably means east) and see the distant mountains clearly and look to the east (probably means west) and see different ranges clear to the Nevada mountains. It was a breath taking sight. (1966)

Story of Theoís Indian Wheat: This is the story of the Indian wheat found by Louis Jones and Owen McClellan. These men were prospecting on Horn Mountain west of Castle Dale, their home town. They found an Indian cave there. Among other Indian relics, they found some wheat. Louis Jones gave a hundred kernels to Mr. Theo Ungerman.. He put it away and forgot it. His son, Glen, was called to fill an LDS mission and while getting ready ran on to this wheat. He asked his father about the wheat. Theo planted it in a pan. Only two kernels sprouted and grew. They first looked like fine grass, but headed out good. He nursed them well and the next year started it again and planted a row in his garden. It grew wonderful. His garden is always a show garden. He is a lover of growing things. Well, the wheat heads are something to see. They are about five or six inches long and slender bearded and the kernels a half inch long or so.

The wheat he started with was surely grown by the Indians before Brigham Youngís time, maybe hundreds of years ago. No one really knows. It seems a superior quality. I am sure Mr. Theo Ungerman should go down in history for reviving this wonderful strain of wheat . . Theoís Horn Mountain Indian Wheat.

Joeís Valley and Indian Joe: One of Arapineís large Indians picked a fight or quarrel with a small Indian. During their altercation the little Indian had his bow and arrow and kept some distance from the larger one. The little Indian secluded himself in among the rocks of the excavation of the Manti Temple. He was severely wounded. Just at dusk when it was hard to see among the rocks, the Big Indian arrowed at the opening. The little Indian whose name was Joe, threatened to shoot if the big Indian took one more step toward him. Well, the big one left and went back to the tribe. Knowing little Indian Joe was badly wounded, he reported to the chief that Joe was dead.

The workmen on the temple found Joe, took him to the settlement, perhaps fort, and nursed him back to health. Joe stayed until he was completely healed and well. He had great respect for the Mormon people.

He returned to his tribe and there was much rejoicing at his return. The Chief was so disgusted with the big Indian that he disowned him and sent him away. He gave little Indian Joe the big valley with twelve horses and let him pick two braves, then sent him on his way.

Indian Joe, as he was known by the Mormons, finally joined the LDS church and became a bishop of Indianola, Sanpete County, and was well thought of by all Mormons in and around that territory and everyone. Chief Arapine deeded the territory including Joeís Valley to Brigham Young.

Another Memory of My Father - Sylvester Hulet Cox: After he would thin out his onions, carrots, beets, and other garden produce about in July and August, he would hook up his wonderfully trained horse, Old Major, load the vegetables and drive to Castle Dale. He gave them to his children who lived there. When my young children spied him as he turned on Main Street to come to our home, they ran to meet him. He always had time to stop and find a place to seat each one, sometimes two on his lap. When my neighbor saw my father pass her place, she was happiness all over. One of the children would say, "Here comes Sister Miller."

He replied, "Thatís all right, Grandpa always puts enough in so there will be some for Sister Miller." She never failed to be there after the first time.

His was the first garden to produce and he never seemed to not have enough for all. There were no weeds growing in his garden. He took care of bees and when he extracted the honey, his families were brought honey and a piece of the honey comb all capped over. Oh, how the kiddies loved the honey comb.

Father most always took the littlest ones in his hands and gave them a swing. Also after unloading the produce, he piled the children in and took them for a ride around the block. It was always a lark for all concerned. The children all loved him dearly and still love his memory.

When my boys, Fred and Parry, were small, father bought them pocket knives which they were always losing. One time he brought them very large ones thinking they could keep them longer, but they were so large they were soon lost. He made guns of boards for them which they loved.

My Mother: No matter what Mother was assigned to do, she put forth every effort to make a success of it. Several have spoken of her as a real leader. When she was president of the Orangeville Ward Primary, she would call all who had phones each week to invite each teacher and officer to be sure to be to Primary as they were needed. Those who didnít have phones, received an invitation by note carried to them by her two small boys, Elbert and Hallie, sent out on their pony. These officers said they just didnít dare stay away or go unprepared. She was president along in about 1909-1912 up until her death 25 Dec 1912.

She was a Relief Society visiting teacher as long as I can remember. She accepted any donation the sisters had to offer such as homemade soap, eggs, chickens, flour or just what people had to give.

Go to the Temples: Let me urge all to prepare themselves to go to the temple. The presidents of the Salt Lake, Manti, and Idaho Falls Temples are urging each and all to come and come often.

It has been a thrill for me to be present to four grandsons weddings in the last two years, one in the Idaho Falls Temple and three in the Salt Lake Temple. My last trip to the Manti Temple was surely a red letter day for me to witness the marriages of nine couples and the sealing of their children to them for not only time, but for all eternity. Itís a wonderful privilege and blessing. May God grant that his spirit may urge us all to do our part in temple work.

I do enjoy doing temple work and pray that the desire may be in the hearts of my family and their children to go to temples for themselves and also for the salvation of those who have died not having that privilege.

We should all keep a record of our activities in this, our church, write down the items as they happen so they will be correct.

An Interesting Visit Told By Father, Sylvester H. Cox when he returned from his mission: Two companions had been traveling for days trying to search for someone who was waiting to learn the truth of the gospel. In those days missionaries depended upon the Lord for food, shelter, and clothing almost entirely. These two elders had had nothing to eat for a very long time. They had become very weak and humble. They kneeled down and told the Lord their troubles and prayed for food. After their prayer that evening, one Elder said, "Oh, if I only had a loaf of my wifeís bread. How good it would taste." He stepped outside and as he opened the door, a messenger handed him two loaves of bread. It seemed to have just been taken from the oven and, oh, how grateful he was for food. He looked up to thank the one who gave it to him, but he was gone.

He wrote the incident to his wife. He said, "The bread looked and tasted just like your bread." She wrote back and said, " I wonder, maybe, if it was my bread. I was inspired that evening to put two loaves of bread on the corner log of our house and after a little while I went out to see if they were still there, but they were gone. Could it be possible that the messengers of heaven delivered them to you?" I really think that is what happened.

I said, "Father, do you think that? How could he receive it so quick?" Father said, "My dear girl, anything is possible with the Lord. His messengers are faster than the wind, quick as lightening. So you see it could be and I really think that Elder received some of his wifeís bread.

How the Name Blodwin came into Uncle Bernard Parryís family: He was called to go on a mission to Wales and North Wales, the native country of his parents . . . my grandfather, Edward Lloyd Parry, and grandmother, Ann Parry. When he was called, he said he couldnít see why he was called. He felt he was the black sheep of the family and wondered what he could do that would help anyone else. But he accepted and went. After being out sometime, he felt he wasnít doing very much and if he were, he wished he could know about it. So he prayed and asked about it. In a dream, he seemed to see a certain home he was to visit.

When he went tracting he finally come to this home and turned in at the gate. A little girl saw him coming in and she left the window where she had been watching for him all the morning. She ran down the path to him, jumped into his arms, and said, "Oh, I am so glad you have finally come. You have a message for us, havenít you?"

He said, "I have never seen you before or been here before. How do you know me or know I have a message for you?"

"I knew you as soon as you turned in at the gate. I had a dream and I saw you in it just like you look. So please come and let us listen to your wonderful message."

Of course he gave them the gospel message. They believed and were so happy to learn the truth. In the conversation he learned that they were his kindred people. The little girlís name was ĎBlodwiní. This proved to him that his efforts were not in vain. It was a testimony that the Lord provides a way for all to do good and rewards those who do good and are willing to work and serve him.

Snippets of talks

(The following two entries seem to be two talks or lessons that were written and given by Emeline. There were fifteen, unnumbered, torn-out tablet pages that seemed to be out of order. Several pages were written on both sides. I tried to put them in some type of order hoping it was the correct way.)


This morning I want to thank all of you for your kindness to me the past several weeks. I want you to know I appreciate and love you.

My grandparents crossed the plains. Why? Because they had accepted and were trying to live the beautiful truths of our gospel taught by God and his angels to Joseph Smith, our prophet. They taught this gospel message to their children.

My parents taught us that we must live near the Lord by keeping his commandments. One lesson my father gave us was the story of the Rose. We were to select a good strong bush, prepare the soil properly, dig the hole just so, place the rose bush in it, cover a small amount of dirt over the roots, poor in the right amount of water, and hill the soil around it. Then as it grew, we were to cultivate it and keep weeds away from it so they wouldnít choke or smother it. We were to tend it carefully and then it would thrive and reward us with exquisite beauty.

He said, "So it can be with our lives as we grow, cultivate wholesome thinking and good habits. If a bad thought tries to creep in, weed it out before it becomes too well rooted and hard to weed out. Cultivate a good disposition, a love for each other. Go about doing good even if you should have some kind of handicap. Every person with a bad attitude cannot be saved until that changes. We should look on the bright side of what we have with unceasing gratitude for all the Lord has done for us and remember that in every life some rain must fall. What ever you do, donít let weeds grow in your lives."

All happiness that is worthy of the name is the result of keeping the commandments of Heavenly Father. The greatest happiness that can come to parents is to know . . . . . (This was the end of a page. I was unable to connect it to another page.)

Another snippet

All that is nearest and dearest in our lives is associated with our families. Love has its center here and where love is, there we find happiness, joy, and peace.

Let us tune our hearts to righteousness that we may prove worthy of Godís greatest blessings. The Lord expects a good attitude from each of us. He requires a contrite spirt, an obedient soul, a willingness to treat others as we would like to be treated, and a grateful heart. Every day we are at the crossroads. Our own attitude will determine which road we will take.

Let us today love righteousness because it is right. Be peacemakers because we love peace, fight the battle of life with the weapons of love and determination of faith. Teach spirituality, love, harmony, obedience and tolerance as our worthy parents did. If we see our children honor their callings in this gospel and live good lives, the greatest happiness, joy and satisfaction ever known will be ours.

Another snippet

. . . . . parents crossed the plains went through these hardships but ever kept the faith and sweet spirit that comes to all who obey the gospel truths and keep Godís commandments. My parents taught their family as they were taught. I have tried to teach my family likewise. And I can testify that there is no greater joy, satisfaction or thrill ever comes to a mother or father than to know and see a son or daughter living close to his church, his God, trying to keep the beautiful truths taught them.

Now what a thrill for grandmothers and grandfathers to receive an invitation to accompany their grandchildren through the temples and have the parents take us there. That brings joy and happiness worth more than money can buy.

What a wonderful feeling to know they are trying to live true to the teachings of their Church, home, family and to their rich inheritance. I hope I can show my love and appreciation to my families for the devotion respect and love they have showered upon me the past several months as all through their lives.

And may we remember this verse found in the D & C 112:10: "Be ye humble, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." Also remember . . .

Another snippet

Each person has one peculiarity. Each have a father also a mother, each have four grandparents and eight great grandparents. My father used to sing a song, parts of which went something like this:
"That old, old, story is true, and Iíve thought it was strange that so often they tell, that story as if it were new. But I found out the reason they loved it so well, that old old story is true."

Tonight I will attempt to repeat in part that old story because it is true.

The authority of the priesthood is the authority to act in the name of our Heavenly Father. We are blessed as thousands know, that the priesthood, with the faith exercised through it, heals our sick, gives us peace, gives us comfort, gives us consolation, and helps us in our daily work. I think there are few here today who have not seen an manifestation of the exercise of faith through the administration of the priesthood.

Through the administration that I received under the hands of Bishop Bott, Forrest, and my husband, I received all these blessings through my recent visit to the hospital.

May we remember this: "Be ye humble, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." (D & C 112:1)

If any of you have read the history of your grandparents or great grandparents, you are aware of the many dangers, periods of near starvation, severe biting cold, sickness, death, and poverty that they experienced. During this time women became mothers, and with that God-given mother love and devotion, they gave themselves in every way for their children and righteous preservation of the home. Do we today love righteousness because it is right? Are we peacemakers because we love peace? Do we fight battles of life with the weapons of love, determination, and faith? Do we teach spirituality, love, harmony, obedience, tolerance as did our pioneers? Yes, our pioneers honored the Priesthood, taught the celestial law of marriage. Yes, they prepared themselves for the eternal home, to become the celestial family for eternity. My grandparents taught and lived all these truths. At one time my father with four of his brothers and sisters traveled to the St. George Temple by ox team to be married in the temple.

Most of my family have married in the temple and, oh, what a joy, thrill, and satisfaction it is for parents to now be able to go to the House of God with our children, our grandchildren and know they are following the teachings of their parents and maker. President McKay has said, "Motherhood is the one thing in all the world which most truly exemplifies the God-given virtues of creating and sacrificing. The mother, who in compliance with eternal laws, brings into the world an immortal spirit. She occupies first rank in the realm of creation."

To me the greatest joy, satisfaction, and thrill, and reward is to have a son honor his priesthood and accept calls . . . or knowing a daughter loves her church enough to respond to calls made of her . . . to know they are trying to live true to their church, home, and family and their rich heritages.

My family has surely shown and showered their respect, their love, and devotion to me through the past several months. I hope I can let them know my appreciation and love for their thoughtfulness. May we tune our hearts to righteousness, I humbly pray.

Grandma Emelineís Shortening Bread
A favorite family recipe


Mix all ingredients together. Blend until crumbly. Spread in cookie sheet and pat until firm. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm. (This is very rich.)


A lovely lady who has brightened the lives of family, friends, and neighbors
with her creative gifts of beauty in both flowers and handicraft.
by her daughter-in-law, Helen Jewkes,
wife of Edward Parry Jewkes, in Idaho Falls.

In her home town of Castle Dale, Utah, her flower garden was the showplace of the town. All the years she lived there she made it a practice to supply the church with beautiful bouquets of flowers each Sunday. She furnished flowers for weddings, sick friends, and funerals. The corsages and bouquets she made were perfection in color and line. She gave freely of any plant or cut flower that she had. It has been said many times of her that, "Our community is a better and more beautiful place because Emeline Jewkes lives here."

Through the years, along with her creative way with flowers, she has made many lovely quilts. Designing her own patterns, marking them on the material, then quilting them to perfection. She has given all her children, grandchildren, and most of her great grandchildren quilts which they will cherish through years to come. Over a period of forty years she has won many sweepstake prizes in fairs throughout Utah. About twenty-five years ago, she designed the pattern you see on the two middle quilts shown on the picture. (Photo not available) A quilt with this pattern on it was made by Mrs. Jewkes and entered in the Utah State Fair. She won the grand sweepstakes prize so she has named it her "Sweepstakes" pattern. This particular pattern has been used mostly for her family, but along with this one, she has designed many, many more which are a joy and a treasure to own.

Mrs. Jewkes was born in Orangeville, Utah, on October 21, 1887, the daughter of Sylvester Hulet Cox and Mary Ellen Parry. She is the mother of three daughters and seven sons, all are still living. She has been active in church work all her life, holding many offices in most of the auxiliary organizations of the church. During the past three years she has lived with her children at various places. At the present time (1964), she resides at 155 East 21st Street, Idaho Falls, Idaho, with her son and daughter-in-law in the 15th Ward of the South Idaho Falls Stake. She is still actively engaged in Relief Society and temple work. She is still busy almost every minute of the day on her quilts and crocheting.

Truly it can be said of her, "She spreads a quilt of beauty and happiness wherever she goes."

Top of page