Allen Cox

Allen Cox was born the 15th of June 1858 in Manti, Sanpete, Utah. He was the third child born to Orville Sutherland Cox and Mary Elizabeth Allen.

When Allen was about seven years of age, his family left for the Muddy Mission. The "Muddy", a branch of the Virgin River, ran through the Moapa Valley. It was here that the family was joined by grandparents Joseph Stewart Allen and Lucy Diantha Morley Allen and others who were also called to colonize the area. The settlements were named Overton and St. Joseph.

Soon, orchards and vineyards were planted. Dams and ditches were so constructed as to hold irrigation water and not let the soil wash away. After a period of six years of industry and privation, the fruit trees were ready to bear. About this time, the line between Utah and Nevada was changed and the pioneers found themselves on the Nevada side. Because of their inability to pay the money demanded for back taxes by the state of Nevada, the families were forced to leave. The Orville Cox family joined the others in their return to Utah and settled in Long Valley.

Brigham Young approved of the practice of the Law of Consecration or the United Order of Enoch. The people who desired to live in this order settled in Orderville. Immediately after the move, the men went to work to build more homes, dams and ditches and to plant more orchards, vineyards and many other crops. Each man, woman and child contributed according to his skill and ability. Members ate together as one large family. "Auntie Harmon" was in charge of the children at meal time and taught them proper etiquette as they sat at a table separate from the adults. Allen counted the nine years spent in Orderville among the happiest years of his life.

When the call came, he willingly went with his brother Theodore to represent the Order and worked on the construction of the Manti and St. George Temples.

When the United Order broke up, Allen's mother received a team and wagon. She and her family settled in Washington, Emery, Utah.

When Allen was 26 years of age, he became engaged to Harriet Rebecca Caldwell, the daughter of Matthew and Nancy Butler Caldwell. They traveled by covered wagon to Logan, Utah to be married. Upon arriving, there was no lodging to be found. Therefore, Allen found a stream of water for his refreshing and retired in the wagon. Harriet was given a room in the temple. Later, she recalled that she had never rested more peacefully in her life. The couple was married the following day - 29 July 1885. They returned to Huntington where they made their home and farmed. Their first four children, Eugene, Jennie, Kate and Ella Grace were born in Huntington.

In 1894, the family moved to Castle Gate, Carbon, Utah, - a coal mining town which was situated in a narrow canyon. This canyon ran parallel to the Price River and the railroad tracks. Allen built a home and established a dairy, livery and transfer business at the south end of the area where Willow Creek emptied into the Price River. At intervals, flash floods roared down from the east hills. Because the house was located on high ground, it was damaged but once.

Ralph was born in 1896. A year later, Ella Grace passed away and was buried in the community cemetery. Dora was born in 1900. It was in this year that his thriving business was sold and the family moved to Provo. Allen wanted his children to have the educational advantages which had not been available for him to enjoy.

Again, Allen engaged in the transfer business. He built a large white brick house which was lined with adobe. He was his own architect, contractor, and did much of the building himself. Today, the home, which is in good condition, still stands. It is located on First East near fourth North - just across the way from the Brigham Young University lower campus. (Now the Provo Public Library center.)

Over the years, Allen became noted for his kindness and generos1ty. He displayed characteristics of honesty, humility and great faith. A true test of this faith came when Eugene was seriously injured. While Eugene and a boy were playfully scuffling in the school building after school, the boy became angry. He picked up a nearby sawed-off push broom and drove it into Eugene’s skull. The janitor immediately placed a call for a doctor and then he and the frightened boy accompanied the injured one to his home.

The doctor examined the wound and recommended surgery for the purpose of inserting a metal plate in the skull for protection, When Allen stoutly refused to consent to such medical assistance, the doctor became alarmed and explained that a piece of broken bone had fallen down inside and required immediate surgery. When Allen still refused such treatment, the doctor called a neighbor from the doorway and stated, “Brother Walton, I'm telling this man - with you as my witness - that unless an operation takes place immediately, the boy will either die, have epilepsy or be an imbecile while he lives”. Allen calmly replied, “The Lord has promised that the power of faith shall heal the sick”. He then quoted the scripture which stated, "If they live, they live unto Me and if they die, they die unto Me”. The doctor then bandaged the head, supplied additional dressings and left the home.

Eugene fainted. He was then laid on covers on the floor. After three hard seizures, he lost consciousness for a period of five hours. Allen realized his responsibility and felt the need of someone to back him. Therefore, he requested some members of the Brigham Young University faculty to come. They each stated that if it were their son they would have a doctor care for his wound. Allen then fell to his knees beside the boy. With scriptures in hand, he read the promises of the Lord. Nearly everyone in the room left. The remainder knelt and prayed. Before Eugene was administered to, Harriet, fearing that there could still be doubt in their minds, asked to speak. She then said, “If he opens his eyes and looks around after the anointing and then regains consciousness and is rational after the sealing, we will know that the Lord will take the case". This is just what took place.

Later that night, the account was related to an old friend, Brother Hall, who had been sent for because of his great faith. When Allen asked if he had done wrong in dismissing the doctor, the reply came, "No one need have fear to put their trust in the Lord". At this Allen broke down and cried.

When Brother Hall administered to Eugene, he poured the consecrated oil into the opening in the skull and stated that he felt inspired to do this. He instructed Harriet to fill in more oil and to dress the wound with antiseptic materials. This she repeated several times.

Eugene arose the next morning, Saturday, and declared that he felt no pain. While dressing the wound, Harriet noted that the bone had floated into place. Eugene asked that the final covering be made of dark cloth to aid in the concealment. The following Monday, he requested that he be allowed to return to school. He assured his parents that he would do more listening than active work.

Sometime later, the doctor related his experience at a meeting of medical Men. He concluded the story by stating that on Tuesday afternoon, he drove slowly by the home looking for some sign of death, when he heard a voice from the sidewalk saying, "Hello, Doctor. I’m fine! How are you?” It was the boy returning home from school. His books were under his arm.

Such was the faith of Allen and Harriet. The wound healed in good time and left only a small scar. Needless to say, Eugene never at any time experienced any trouble. He lived to raise a family and at the age of fifty one, was killed in an accident.

When three children were grown and making lives for themselves, Allen became restless and desired to "get back on the land". The home was sold and the family moved to a farm just outside of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Ralph helped build the farm to a prosperous one. Nevertheless, Allen and Harriet were not content away from their children. As a result, they moved several times more. They had the ability to adjust well to new situations, make a living and acquire new friends wherever they went.

Allen’s last home was in Payette, Idaho. He died of pernicious anemia in 1933 at the age of seventy five. He was buried in the Ontario, Oregon Cemetery - just across the river from Payette. Harriet lived until she was eighty six years of age and died in 1944 in Cornelius, Oregon. She was buried in Lincoln Memorial Cemetery in Portland, Oregon.