Walter Cox

Walter was born in Manti, in 1852. When he was 4 he went with his sister Ada to gather greens from the hill where the temple now stands. The greens grew rank, and supplied food to the settlers until the wheat ripened. He always recognized the hand of the Lord in providing the greens for them.

Food was always rationed because of the Indians to feed, grasshoppers, drought, new settlers etc. After Walt became a big boy and learned to shoot a gun (two shots a day using his brother's gun) he hunted and had enough to eat. He always shared with the Indians so they were friendly with him. He also found a fish hook by stepping on it. He didn't mind the sore foot, for the fish hook was a great prize.

Schooling for Walt was confined to the deep winter months, and after he was 10 he was too valuable to his father to waste time in school. One winter when he was older he went to school.

Sheepherding started at age 6, and he soon learned to keep the herd together. He made friends with all sensible animals. Dogs, like Rover, oxen, like John, and horses such as Molly were a great part of his life.

In 1865, Orville S. Cox, Walter's father, was advised to move to the Muddy, near present Lake Mead. Walt was the natural born scout of the family, although not yet 13, and went with his father and the third wife to begin the settlement. Walt was left in charge while his father returned for more of the family. While he was gone, Walt's half sister Lucinda drowned in the treacherous quick- sand, leaving him wild with grief. He never forgot that. It was on the Muddy that his accurate shooting and keen insight into Indian nature secured for him the name Aragoonip, which means “Protected by the Great Spirit". He earned this name, for the Indians tried to kill him several times without success.

Walt had many interesting experiences with the Indians. When he first got a gun, down on the Muddy, a rabbit jumped up and he shot it. He had to see if he could. The Indians were going to punish him for killing their game. Walt took the Peace Chief to the creek and took three shots. He got 36 ducks, and kept the 8 large ones giving the rest to the Indians. After that Walt hunted when he wanted, sharing with the Indians, and heard no more about the rabbit.

A new survey by Nevada caused the family to leave their homes on the Muddy and return to Utah after 5 years of labor. Walt's mother returned to Fairview while the other families settled in Long Valley. Walt and his brother Orv often freighted grain to Pioche Nevada, a wild mining town.

Soon after Walt married Nancy Irene Sanders, her father left the two youngest Sanders children, Darius and Olive, with Nancy and went to Arizona. Nancy and Walt raised Darius and Olive with their own children on the farm one mile south of Fairview. As the family grew, so did the house. They bought a home and moved it to the farm, then later built a larger home and used the smaller one for a granary. The Big Swing that was on the farm was a landmark, and much used by the people of the town as well as the family. Many parties were held at the farm with the swing as the focal point.

The children were always kept busy - farming, gardening, painting, sewing, knitting and working in the bees, but they also found time for recreation, honey candy and ice cream parties, swinging, ice skating, and bob-sleigh riding.

School was important. Most all the children had the privilege of going to college at BYU, Logan, Snow, etc.

Before 1916, public schools went to the 8th grade. The Church established High Schools throughout the state for the students to go to, often boarding there for the school year.

Walter recognized his lack of education. School was important. Most all the children had the privilege of going to college at BYU, Logan, Snow, etc. He usually planned for one of the girls to be at school with the boys, and also had some of the children at home to help run the farm.

Two different years he became disturbed at the boys in town hanging around the saloon, so he went to the school board and persuaded them to let him hire a teacher for those boys. The other parents were grateful, and paid their share, but it was Walt who made sure there was learning available for the idle boys.

Walter never was called on a mission, bu1 he sent several of his family. He was always ready to do as the Lord directed. Bishop Tucker needed $185 at Mt Pleasant by 3 in the morning to send a missionary across the water. Walt said “Where can I get it?" Bishop said "I don't know, it's up to you.” After asking the Lord for help, Walt started for Am, his brother. A man saw him and gave him $100 saying "I have owed you $85 for a long time.” John W. Pritchett at the store said “I have $90 in this purse. Do you want it?” “You bet I do." Ask and you will receive.

The farm animals played a large part in farm life, Geese provided down for bedding, chicken and duck feathers went into mattresses and pillows. Bees provided honey for a source of money as well as sweets. The cows were taken on the mountain each summer by the boys who took care of them and made cheese.